Troubleshooting Stack Overflow at line 0
Reader Question: “Hi Wally, Whenever I try to load this website I keep getting an error saying Stack Overflow at Line 0. Why do I keep getting this error?” – Christopher L., Canada
- Step 1 : Download PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (WinThruster for Win 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP and 2000 – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2 : Click “Start Scan” to find Windows registry issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.
Setting up weekly (or daily) automatic scans will help prevent system problems and keep your PC running fast and trouble-free.
Troubleshooting Stack Overflow at Line 0
The Stack Overflow at Line 0 error is caused by using more memory than the amount available in the stack. This error is seen to frequently occur in webpages containing Java Script code. When a webpage is loaded in internet explorer, it may give an error saying “Stack overflow in line 0.” This generic error does not explain a whole lot. Since, it is not caused by a specific problem, troubleshooting it can be a little tricky.
Here are some possible solutions to this problem:
- Updating your Java and Flash player might resolve the “Stack Overflow at line 0” Error.
- Using the Firefox web browser may prevent this error.
- If IE debugger was not triggered, or does not help in this regard, disable script debugging and try hooking-up Visual Studio’s advanced debugger to the Internet Explorer to find and resolve the problem.
- Disable Script Debugging in Internet Explorer. Go to Tools > Internet options > Advanced > Navigation section > Disable script debugging
- If you have a tag named MaintainScrollPositionOnPostback in your code then removing it might resolve this problem.
- If you were using Selenium to automate the browser, and got the error “Stack Overflow at line 0” during the testing phase, this probably occurred while IE testing. Your problem might have been By.id(“xyz”). Replacing it with By.name, xpath or something else might solve the issue.
- An non-terminating loop or recursive call in Java might also be the culprit. Debugging your Java code might solve this problem.
- How to avoid these problems: Stack overflow can commonly occur in computers due to software errors or, usually due to registry issues. Chances that the “Stack Overflow at line 0” error occurs can be significantly decreased by using windows registry maintenance software. Registry maintenance software is designed to deal with common windows registry issues. Tools like WinThruster and other such tools can help maintain your computer’s performance, and avoid errors caused by mismanagement of the system registry as well.
Is Your PC Healthy?
I always recommend to my readers to regularly use a trusted registry cleaner and optimizer such as WinThruster or CCleaner. Many problems that you encounter can be attributed to a corrupt and bloated registry. Happy Computing!
Wally’s Answer Rating
Summary: Every Windows Wally blog post is evaluated on these three criteria. The average of all three elements determines an "Overall Rating" for each blog post.