Windows 10 RuntimeBroker.exe CPU 100%
“Hi Wally, I upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and its not working that well anymore. I was copying files to an external USB hard drive when I noticed that the process was taking really really long. It used to take around 30 minutes on Windows 7, but now the computer’s frozen and it is very slow. In the Task Manager it shows that RuntimeBroker.exe might be the culprit. Disabling it seems to fix the problem but I’m looking for a permanent solution.” – Alejandro N., USA
Before addressing any computer issue, I always recommend scanning and repairing any underlying problems affecting your PC health and performance:
- Step 1 : Download PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (WinThruster for Win7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2 : Click “Start Scan” to find Windows registry issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.
Setting up weekly (or daily) automatic scans will help prevent system problems and keep your PC running fast and trouble-free.
Wally’s Answer: Windows 10 has seen an amazing adoption rate with almost 75 Million activations in the first month of its release according to Microsoft. Many people are using Windows 10 without any problems, but some issues are to be expected in an operating system as large and complex as Windows.
The RuntimeBroker.exe process makes the computer use 100% CPU. The copy process becomes really slow and inefficient.
Here we use some ways to fix the RuntimeBroker.exe issue.
Edit The Registry To Fix This Problem
Sometimes when fixing unresolved Windows related problems, you will need to use the registry editor. Using the Registry Editor is a bit risky because if you make a mistake, you could very well have to reinstall Windows altogether. Having said that, doing this correctly can help solve the problem quickly. Here we go:
- Open the registry editor, press Windows Key + R > type regedit > press Enter
- Go to
- Right-Click Start from the right pane > click Modify
- Change its value to 4
- Click OK
Disable “Show Windows Tips”
- Press Windows Key + A > click All settings in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Click System
- Click Notifications and actions > Disable “Show me tips about Windows“.
Is Your PC Healthy?
I always recommend to my readers to regularly use a trusted registry cleaner and optimizer such as WinThruster or CCleaner. Many problems that you encounter can be attributed to a corrupt and bloated registry.
Wally's Answer Rating
Summary: Every Windows Wally blog post is evaluated on these three criteria. The average of all three elements determines an "Overall Rating" for each blog post.