How To Resolve Windows 8.1 Update Error 80072EFE
“Hi Wally, I’m using Windows 8.1, when I try to update it, it stops with update error 80072EFE. My internet connection is working fine. I don’t know why the update isn’t installing right now.“ - Garrett A., United Kingdom
Before addressing any computer issue, I always recommend scanning and repairing any underlying problems affecting your PC health and performance:
- Step 1 : Download PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (WinThruster for Win7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2 : Click “Start Scan” to find Windows registry issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.
Setting up weekly (or daily) automatic scans will help prevent system problems and keep your PC running fast and trouble-free.
Wally’s Answer: This error is seen to appear when trying to update Windows on a problematic network connection. It happens even if you have no Antivirus installed. This is important because some antivirus programs have been seen to cause problems with the working of windows 8.1 due to lag in developer adoption of Windows 8.1 or because the user has an older version of the antivirus or other software installed under Windows 8.1
Here we will see some ways that this error can be resolved.
During Windows Update Error 80072EFE appears and the update does not proceed.
- This error can occur when programs or processes interfere with the Internet.
- The network is having problems.
- The user is also downloading something else while applying the update.
Here are some ways that you can fix this error:
Its as simple as it sounds. Just restart your computer and the internet modem as well. After restarting them, try to open an internet browser and check to see if the internet is working.
Stop All Downloads
If either you or someone else is using the internet to download files then you can either use that download or wait for it to finish before trying to upgrade windows again.
Use Another Network
If you’r still not making any progress than try using another network. This is easy if you are trying to apply this update on a laptop computer running Windows 8.1. Just take it somewhere else where you can get a good internet connection and try applying the update again.
Use the Windows Update Troubleshooter To Fix Update Error 80072EFE
You can use the Windows update troubleshooter to try and fix Update Error 80072EFE and any other problems that nay be preventing you from successfully updating your computer.
- Press Windows Key + X > click Control Panel
- In the Search Bar type Troubleshooting
- Click View All to view all available options
- Scroll to the bottom and click Windows Update
- Follow on-screen instructions to continue.
Is Your PC Healthy?
I always recommend to my readers to regularly use a trusted registry cleaner and optimizer such as WinThruster or CCleaner. Many problems that you encounter can be attributed to a corrupt and bloated registry.
Wally’s Answer Rating
Summary: Every Windows Wally blog post is evaluated on these three criteria. The average of all three elements determines an "Overall Rating" for each blog post.